that the bump sensor was a little too stiff, so I pulled it off
and put a couple extra bends in it to put the contact
portion closer to the duct tape. This helped quite a bit. The
bot still gets stuck if it hits a corner dead center, and it can
get stuck with a wheel on a chair leg and drive circles
around the leg forever.
My next modification will be to extend the bump
sensor out to cover the wheels and maybe put something
in the middle to get rid of that blind spot.
It was a fun little project and the kids got a kick out of
it. They had a lot of fun poking the bump sensor to make
the car back up and turn away. This little bot is capable of
quite a lot of modification. There is plenty more space
inside the case. The clear inside disk of the wheels is
screaming for some sort of optical odometry; the clear
windows on top need some sort of display; and, of course,
it needs more sensors. I wonder what I did with that old
Polaroid camera with the sonar range finder ... SV
Bottom view of completed car.
Bottom view showing bump sensor.
SERVO 02.2010 51