drum end caps and then assembling
the coil drum (Figure 5). Once the
coil drum was finished, I cut the
titanium shafting down to size and
did a test-fit without bearings for all
of the components (Figure 6).
While I waited for the bearings
to arrive, I started working on the
parts for the clutch carriage as seen
in Figure 7. The bearings finally
arrived, so I finished off the flipper
assembly by mounting the trigger
servos and adding the return springs
to the clutch (Figure 8).
I added a very thin rope to the
assembly to work as a shear pin for
my first test, and then installed the
whole thing on the baseplate with
the flywheel and drive motors
The batteries that I wanted were
out of stock, so I ended up making
the five-cell battery packs myself. You
can see three of the four completed
packs in Figure 10.
The next logical step after the
batteries was the electronics box at
the back of the robot and the wiring
between all of the different
components. This was a bit tricky
because of all the moving parts in
the flipper assembly, but you can see
the results of several different
attempts in Figure 11.
Before I could do any tests of the
entire robot, I had to finish up the
frame (Figure 12). Once that was
done, I cut and attached extra
SERVO 10.2013 25
Figure 3. Flipper
assembly on base.
Figure 5. Coil drum.