Continued from page 15
Learn real world engineering skills with the friendly, capable, and peppy ActivityBot available now from
Parallax. It's a great option for first-time robot builders,
as well as for an intro to technology and engineering
courses in high schools and colleges.
Step-by-step web tutorials take users through
programming its multicore Propeller chip in C, wiring
circuits on a breadboard, and building sensor systems
so a robot can navigate on its own.
Key features include:
• Easy to program in C on Windows, Mac, or Linux with
the SimpleIDE software and custom Simple Libraries.
• Multicore Propeller control board makes it quick to
integrate sensors, motors, and more.
• High speed servo motors with optical encoders provide
fast consistent maneuvering.
• Breadboard and three-pin headers let builders experiment
with common electronics parts; no soldering or proprietary
• Component kit makes navigation systems that use touch,
visible light, infrared light, and ultrasonic sensors.
• Built-in SD card slot and microSD card are ready for
data logging and file storage.
The retail price is US$199.
Parallax’s Quad-Bearing Gimbal Joystick is a high quality two-axis human input device. It is useful for
sending continuously variable settings such as position,
direction, or throttle values to a connected
The joystick interfaces readily with analog-to-digital
converters, as well as simple RC timing circuits. It is
mechanically adjustable for a customized action and
feel. The included adapter kit provides a connection
option to breadboards or thru-hole boards with 0.1"
spacing (simple soldering required).
Key features include:
• Five k-ohm linear-taper potentiometer on each axis
provides even resistance transitions without skips.
• Ball-bearing action on both axes makes for smooth
• Selectable spring return-to-center on vertical axis
for rudder-type or
vertical axis to
hold joystick in
place when not
being manually held.
The retail price is
US$24.99. For further
information, please contact:
SERVO 02.2014 63
Sphero 2B will be available worldwide for under
US$100 starting in Fall 2014; 2B accessories and
customizable parts will be announced at a later date.
To preorder, go to the website for details.
For further information, please contact: