It’s probably a sign someone has been doing this too long when — upon sifting through ye olde junk
box and coming across two needle
bearings, a shaft, a piece of mild
steel, and a brushless motor — the
only thing that comes to mind is
combining the steel with the shaft,
inserting it into the bearings, hooking
up the brushless, and wondering
what’s got the cat so worked up.
Admittedly, there were a few
steps between locating the unused
bearings and wronging the cat. First,
we had art
our team keeps
we can draw a
robot and then
build that three
pound robot. In
we drew an
hung off of one
side. This was so the electronics could
fit in the other side, and the wheels
could be relatively close to the beater.
We then proceeded not to build
that robot. It was a serious affront to
feng shui, and McMaster Carr had a
sale on 8-5/8” diameter polyethylene
tube. We would like to tell you — here
and now — that we went with the
tube because the round shape would
deflect impact or because it was 20
percent stronger, but the truth is it
was cheap. Our team — perhaps more
than most — is fond of cheap.
So, here we come to Step 2:
Draw a picture that was slightly less to
scale than before but rounder and
somehow better, at least according to
the individual on our team charged
with drawing pictures.
This time — and for no better
reason than we now owned a one
foot length of 8-5/8” polyethylene
tube — we started building.
Step 3 was milling and welding
38 SERVO 07.2014
● by Aaron Nielsen and Chris Seyfert
The front was held up with nylon bolts.
We broke at least one every fight, but had
no weight for actual metal.
Some creative epoxy use was required to keep the
drive motors from shorting one another out.
lot of cuts