on these wires won’t fit into the terminal blocks on the
driver board. I cut the connector off after the crimp but
before the female connector itself, essentially turning it into
a tiny spade connector (see Figure 5 inset).
Now, the motor wires can be inserted into the screw
terminal blocks on the motor driver board as shown in
One other change I wanted to make was to isolate the
motor power and the control board power. This is desirable
in case the potential exists for the motors to draw enough
current to cause a sag in the supply that would be bad
enough to cause the controller or sensors to fail, or to
introduce noise in the system. So, a second Li-Ion power
pack was added. I tried to place both on the lower deck. This
fit, but unfortunately it blocked the hole for the wires to
come up through the upper deck.
This means that for now I will move the second supply to
the upper deck. However, it’s a possibility that I will move the
hole for the wires on my board to allow me to still do this. As
you can see, the design grows and changes as we build it.
Feel free to make whatever changes you desire to customize
things to your own tastes and needs.
For now, we’ll mount the power pack in the following
manner. You can always change it later.
72 SERVO 07.2014
Figure 4. Encoder wires brought up through the
Figure 5. Motor wires.
How to cut the connector.
Figure 6. Connecting the motor wires to the
motor driver board.
Figure 7. Originally planned layout
for the lower deck.
Figure 8. Final layout of the lower deck
for this version.