I also drilled a couple of
holes and mounted a couple of
green LEDs in the bowl to act
as his eyes. Once the head was
mounted and rotating about 90
degrees under radio control, he
was pretty much done.
Beer2D2 and I went to
RoboGames for the first time in
2010. We actually had a lot of
fun hanging out with the
ArtBots and the folks from the
Homebrew Robotics Club. To my surprise, the kids really
loved the little guy. We drove all over that event. He even
got to meet the full-sized R2D2 projects from several
Then, I started noticing several problems. The fixed
front wheel was causing a lot of drag during turns and was
also trying to tear itself off of its rim sideways. Another
major problem was happening with the drivetrain legs and
their attachment to the tin cupcake holders/shoulders. The
legs began shifting and flexing, and starting to tear the
mounting screws out of the cupcake molds and the main
Heineken can. Not good! I stopped driving him on the
second day of that event and just put him on display.
Time for Some Upgrades, then
Off to the Bay Area Maker Faire
When we got home from that event, I accessed the
damage. I strengthened the shoulder mount, added a piece
of aluminum channel between the drivetrain housings, and
bolted that channel to the can with some more 1” angled
aluminum. That made the drivetrain much stronger, and
there was no more flexing.
I removed the fixed front wheel and replaced it with a
1” self-aligning caster wheel. That took care of the tire drag
and helped him turn easier. Now, for a serious road test!
In May 2010, I took him to the Maker Faire, along with
several other projects. He was working a lot better.
Even More Upgrades
After that Maker Faire, I wanted his sound system to
work better. The speakers were really muffled from being
inside of the tin can. So, I took him apart and disassembled
the amplified computer speakers.
Once the speakers were free from their housing, I
One of the other projects I had demoed at that
particular Faire was an audio controlled LED color organ
circuit that I had built using a schematic from Make
Magazine and a lot of discrete components from Jameco
Electronics. I decided one day to see If I could fit/cram that
board into the new found space inside of Beer2's can. Well,
it wasn't easy to cut the board down to size, but with some
Dremel work on the circuit board, rewiring of the circuits,
SERVO 08.2015 49
Beer2D2 meets Dalek.
Beer2D2 at RoboGames 2013.
Beer2D2 and R2.