SERVO 10.2017 25
or two until one of us couldn't move.
This was not going to be a fight that
would go the distance.
During the initial systems check,
everything worked as intended, but
the weapon slowed down faster than
usual. Something had locked up. With
no time to do anything, we started,
with InsaniTi being a bit of a sitting
duck. After taking a few hits, the
weapon fired up with ease. After a
few big hits between the two high
kinetic energy bots, drive issues
This eventually led to me tapping
out with no drive, finishing the event
with a 6-2 record, and taking 4th
overall. Dinner Time was the only bot
to do any damage to the frame. One
of the weapon supports got slightly
bent (yes, the 4 mm titanium got
bent), but I believe this was done in
one of the early big hits without the
It also managed to damage the
back plate and crack some of the
welds after mobility was restricted,
I certainly learned a lot, and
will be making a few changes for
the next event in Saskatoon: the
SCRC Nationals. The weapon
motor issue I had in the first
fight was solved at the event with a
custom 17-4PH stainless shaft. It
shows no signs of fatigue, and will be
what I use moving forward for sure.
The stock shafts are super hard and
the snap ring groove is a big point of
failure. Sounds like I'm not the first
one to learn this lesson, and don't
plan on having that failure again in
I have some ideas regarding the
drive issues, but no sure-fire solution.
The solid chassis with no shock
absorption is a recipe for electronics
failure, so this was my biggest
concern. The unsupported motors
would strip the mounting screws and
pull the gearboxes right off even with
Loctite, so something needs to be
To strengthen the drive motors,
the current plan is to make an
aluminum sleeve to cover the gearbox
and motor, and glue it all together
with Shoe Goo or something similar.
This is purely to beef up the
motor/gearbox connection. The
gearbox itself has very beefy motor
mounting to the frame and gave me
no issues whatsoever.
With a sleeve spreading the load
off the two screws holding the motor
onto the motor can and gearbox, it
should greatly help durability. This will
make pit-side serviceability nonexistent, but I've got three spares now
(compared to one at Motorama).
Having them all battle hardened, I'll
be able to just swap the whole unit
out if needed.
With the two issues I had with
Insani Ti dealt with, there's also a
couple other changes I plan on
making to further improve
performance. The titanium wedgelets
were basically useless. They were
adjustable to be ground hugging, but
one impact would just make them slip
out of alignment. I ended up not
running them for the most part for
that reason. They also needed a screw
and lock nut to secure them.
The lock nut is physically very
large and got hit just shearing the
screw, which isn't good. The solution I
have for this is to machine some 1/4”
thick 7075 aluminum or steel ones.
They will have tapped holes to get rid
of the lock nuts, and get ground to
perfection to serve their purpose and
remain rock solid without being able
to move. These will add some weight,
but being 2 oz under, I shouldn't have
any issues with this and the drive
motor battle hardening.
● by Andrew Burghgraef COMBAT ZONE
The new wedgelet design;
material to be decided.