1. For the titanium, you will need to
use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.
When cutting the parts, remember to
cut on the outside of the Sharpie line.
You can always file it down to the
2. I would start next with the Garolite sheet and drill the holes for the two
motor mounts. They will be on the top right- and left-hand corners. Use the
scribe and punch and drill method.
3. After you have drilled the holes for the motor mounts, drill holes for the
small hinges on the leading edge.
4. Next, use 4-40 screws and screw the
motor mount and brass hinges to the base
plate of your robot.
5. Take the Lexan sheet and lay it square over the frame piece.
6. Bend the Lexan along the dotted lines in a vice or between two blocks.
You can use a heat
gun to help bend
62 SERVO 04.2013
Know your titanium!There
are two kinds you should use
in fighting robots: Grade 2
and grade 5. You can bend
grade 2 to create complex
shapes, however, this means
your robot can bend too. For
indestructible armor, you
should use grade 5 because it
cannot be bent. You have to
use it in its straight form, but
it is some of the best armor
you can put on your robot.